Saturday, April 7, 2012

Onion Dip

So, here's my little blogger rant. I had some friends over so I could show off my cooking skills (I mean, who doesn't?). The chicken and mac & cheese turned out GREAT; recipes below. But I wanted to try out this chips & dip recipe I saw on food network. And the chips were baked, not fried, so they would be somewhat healthy, right? So I tried it the day of company. I  neglected to remember my awful knives and ended up cutting the potatoes very uneven. They came out like fries, not chips. As long as you call them potatoes, not chips, they were okaayyy... very peppery. Hey, you can't succeed every the time. Anyway, you can check out that recipe here. Perhaps you will have better luck than I. With that said, the onion dip turned out pretty good!


Ingredients:

4 teaspoons olive oil
2 small onions, minced (I used red onions because the original recipe didn't specify)
4 scallions, thinly sliced, greens and whites separated (KEEP BOTH GREENS AND WHITES!)
3 cups nonfat PLAIN yogurt (I almost got vanilla o: or you can use 2 1/2 cups Greek yogurt)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper


Directions:

1. Heat oil over medium heat and add onions and scallion whites. Cook, stirring often, until golden brown and soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. 
(I don't appreciate greasy veggies, so I "drained" them with a paper towel in a bowl to get rid of the excess oil. Also, the original recipe says to thicken the yogurt with a strainer lined with a paper towel for 20 minutes. The yogurt wouldn't go past the paper towel!! If it works for you, please let me know how!)
3. Combine onions with yogurt, mayonnaise, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper and scallion greens and stir well to incorporate.
4. Chill for 1 hour or more to let flavors meld. Serve with veggies or potato chips. It went pretty well with my soggy potatoes, too!

Thanks to Ellie Krieger and Food Network for the recipe (doubled)

No comments:

Post a Comment